It seems as if Halloween television programming just keeps getting worse and worse every year. I don’t know if this has to do with horror movies going down the shitter in the past ten to fifteen years and the people who program what we get to see on TV following the trend or if maybe they both equally suck in general. With that said I’d like to present you with my 31 horror movies that you should be watching this month.
1. 2000 Maniacs – Six people are lured into a small Deep South town for a Centennial celebration where the residents proceed to kill them one by one as revenge for the town’s destruction during the Civil War.
2. Tombs of the Blind Dead – In the 13th century there existed a legion of evil knights known as the Templars, who quested for eternal life by drinking human blood and committing sacrifices. Executed for their unholy deeds, the Templars bodies were left out for the crows to peck out their eyes. Now, in modern day Portugal, a group of people stumble on the Templars abandoned monastery, reviving their rotting corpses to terrorize the land.
3. Vampyros Lesbos – An erotic horror tale about a vixen vampiress seducing and killing women to appease her insatiable thirst for female blood.
4. The Crazies – The military attempts to contain a manmade combat virus that causes death and permanent insanity in those infected, as it overtakes a small Pennsylvania town.
5. Torso – Someone is strangling coeds in Perugia. The only clue is that the killer owns a red and black scarf, and police are stumped. American exchange student Jane and her friends decide to take a break from classes by going up to Danielle’s uncle’s villa in the country. Unfortunately the killer decides to follow, and the women begin suffering a rapid attrition problem.
6. The Brood – A man tries to uncover an unconventional psychologist’s therapy techniques on his institutionalized wife, while a series of brutal attacks committed by a brood of mutant children coincides with the husband’s investigation.
7. The Prophecy – A log company’s waste mutates the environment, creating a giant killer bear-monster.
8. Re-Animator – A dedicated student at a medical college and his girlfriend become involved in bizarre experiments centering around the re-animation of dead tissue when an odd new student arrives on campus.
9. Dawn of the Dead – Following an ever-growing epidemic of zombies that have risen from the dead, two Philadelphia SWAT team members, a traffic reporter, and his television-executive girlfriend seek refuge in a secluded shopping mall.
10. House By The Cemetery – A deranged killer lives in the basement of an old mansion and pops out occasionally to commit grisly murders that include be-headings, ripped throats, and stabbings with a fireplace poker. The killer needs fresh body parts to rejuvenate his cells. He also has maggots for blood.
11. From Beyond – Scientists create a resonator to stimulate the pineal gland (sixth sense), and open up a door to a parallel (and hostile) universe. Based on a story by H. P. Lovecraft.
12. Scanners – A scientist sends a man with extraordinary psychic powers to hunt others like him.
13. Zombie/Zombi 2 – Strangers looking for a woman’s father arrive at a tropical island where a doctor desperately searches for the cause and cure of a recent epidemic of the undead.
14. The Evil Dead – Five friends travel to a cabin in the woods, where they unknowingly release flesh-possessing demons.
15. Cannibal Holocaust – A New York University professor returns from a rescue mission to the Amazon rainforest with the footage shot by a lost team of documentarians who were making a film about the area’s local cannibal tribes.
16. Zombie Holocaust – The members of an expedition in search for the last faithful of Kito, the cannibal god, land on a small island in the Moluccas (East Indies) and are soon hunted by cannibals and zombies, these being created by a sinister Doctor O’Brien who is experimenting with corpses. Suzan, a sexy lady in the expedition team, eventually takes a hold on things, as she is accepted as queen of the cannibals, and direct them against the mad scientist and his army of zombies.
17. Rawhead Rex – Ireland will never be the same after Rawhead Rex, a particularly nasty demon, is released from his underground prison by an unwitting farmer. The film follows Rex’s cross country rampage, while a man struggles to stop it.
18. Phantasm – A young boy and his friends face off against a mysterious grave robber known only as the Tall Man, who keeps a mysterious arsenal of terrible weapons with him.
19. Beyond The Door – Juliet Mills plays a young pregnant woman in San Francisco who is going to have the devil’s baby during her strange possession. Richard Johnson shows up to help her… but what does he really want?
20. The Beast Within – In the beginning of the movie you see a woman getting raped by a man-creature of some sort. The movie takes place years later when the child that was a result of that rape is on the rampage looking for a girl to rape to start the process all over again.
21. Night of the Creeps – Alien brain parasites, entering humans through the mouth, turn their host into a killing zombie. Some teenagers start to fight against them.
22. Halloween – A psychotic murderer institutionalized since childhood for the murder of his sister, escapes and stalks a bookish teenage girl and her friends while his doctor chases him through the streets.
23. Neon Maniacs – A group of teenagers in San Francisco discover a nest of homicidal monsters living in a tower of the Golden Gate Bridge, but when they try to tell authorities, no one believes them.
24. Society – Bill is worried that he is ‘different’ to his sister and parents. They mix with other ‘upper class’ people while Bill is more down to earth. Even his girlfriend seems a bit odd. All is revealed when Bill returns home to find a party in full swing. Not for the weak of stomach.
25. The Stuff – A delicious mysterious goo that oozes from the Earth is marketed as the newest dessert sensation. But the sugary treat rots more than teeth when zombie-like snackers begin infesting the world.
26. The Thing – Scientists in the Antarctic are confronted by a shape-shifting alien that assumes the appearance of the people that it kills.
27. Street Trash – When a liquor store owner finds a case of “Viper” in his cellar, he decides to sell it to the local hobos at one dollar a bottle, unaware of its true properties. The drinks causes its consumers to melt, very messily. Two homeless lads find themselves up against the effects of the toxic brew, as well as going head to head with “Bronson” a Vietnam vet with sociopathic tendencies, and the owner of the junkyard they live in.
28. Basket Case – A young man carrying a big basket that contains his deformed Siamese-twin brother seeks vengeance on the doctors who separated them against their will.
29. Brain Damage – One morning a young man wakes to find a small, disgusting creature has attached itself to the base of his brain stem. The creature gives him a euphoric state of happiness but in return demands human victims.
30. Brain Dead/Dead Alive – A young man’s mother is bitten by a Sumatran rat-monkey. She gets sick and dies, at which time she comes back to life, killing and eating dogs, nurses, friends, and neighbors.
31. Nekromantik – A street sweeper who cleans up after grisly accidents brings home a full corpse for him and his wife to enjoy sexually, but is dismayed to see that his wife prefers the corpse over him.